Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Power of Music

Out of all the songs on the album, I found that I enjoyed DJ Shadow's: Building Steam with a Grain of Salt. I personally felt that it evoked a strong emotional response from me. I don't listen to instrumental music often, but this piece spoke to me despite the lack of lyrics. I listened to the music with my eyes closed so that I could have a better understanding of what the song was trying to portray. I think that instrumental music doesn't have a targeted goal for an emotion, but rather allows the listener to form their own interpretations. In other words, unlike songs with lyrics, instrumental music doesn't dictate or try to prove what is being said but rather connects the listener with an emotion.

Though the song seems to run on repetition with the same beat and instruments, I found that the imagery that was conjured up was continuous. Listening to the word segments, I thought that the song had a spiritual aspect to it. I like how the word segments integrate with the music to create this image of tenacity, inner-strength, and hope. I imagine that someone would be walking along the street replaying the flaws of their life in their mind and learning to overcome that to be a better person. The beat, lyrics and instruments create a powerful and inspiring thought process. There are very few songs that are able to evoke strong emotions without the aid of lyrics. What DJ Shadow's done is he allows the listener to peek through the window of an idea and let them discovers for themselves what is within.

1 comment:

  1. i like your analogy of the person walking down the street replaying the flaws in his or her life and learning to overcome them to be a better person. i can totally agree with that concept. we are all human and all make mistakes in the past and the future and mistakes we dont even know about. i hope we can all learn from them and fix them so that we dont make them again. by doing this in sha2 Allah we will not only become better people, but also, we can make the world a better place to reside.

    ReplyDelete